Friday, June 18, 2010

Been there, done that! And, I'd do it again.

Lasell's Undergraduate Admissions Team is a diverse group. For example, we have an expert in International Admission and Recruitment, a former Guidance Counselor, and a member of the team who has worked in the office for nearly twenty years.

However, we count on Sean McCullen '07, one of our Admission Counselors, to provide his unique perspective as a Lasell College alum.

Sean eagerly created our Alumni Admission Ambassador program when he joined the team, and has helped the Admission Office stay connected to our successful alums around the globe. Sean recruits and and reads applications from students who live in western Connecticut, parts of western Massachusetts, and from his home state of New York.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With all this talk about events and programs like Orientation happening now, you may find yourself asking, “Well, what’s it going to be like when I get ON campus?” For me, as an alum, I always get this question from students and families. And believe me, I could go on forever about this subject; it’s my favorite thing to talk about!

Typically I speak of my experiences. For example, living in Holt Hall my freshmen year or being a part of S.G.A. (Student Government Association) as Junior Class President (’06) and Senior Class President (’07) or playing drums in the Jazz Band or being an athlete at Lasell as a member of the Men’s Volleyball team or about my study abroad experience in Dublin, Ireland (kissing the blarney stone!)

Of course, I'll never foregt supporting the Men’s Lacrosse team in the spring by running up and down the field (in full body paint!) or my most memorable moment at Lasell when I spoke at the graduation ceremony in 2007.

Nevertheless, the one aspect that stands out and what I believe truly sets Lasell apart from other institutions is the ability to forge and foster relationships through the close-knit community.

This is exactly how I met Ginnie Chow, my RA in Holt Hall during my freshmen year. Ginnie studied Fashion Design & Production at Lasell, and graduated in 2005. In her own words, “Students would hang out in the hallway playing music and others would hang out in the 3rd floor lounge.

I really connected to my residents in Holt. I'm glad that I was able to be a part their lives as much as they were a part of mine.” Ginnie interned at TJX Companies, Inc. and said that, “I learned the process of fashion production from prototype to the retail floor. I learned about fits and color standards, the different components that it takes to bring a single style to the stores, and also about the different testing standards required of children’s clothing has opposed to adult-ware.”


After graduating, Ginnie worked at Telluride Clothing Company (now known as Nic & Zoe) as an Assistant Technical Designer. Currently, Ginnie is an Associate Global Sourcing Manager at Talbots, Inc. “I deal with factory allocation, cost negotiations, and act as the filter between our headquarters and overseas offices.” Ginnie also adds that the best part of her job is the travel. “I've been to Hong Kong 3 times in the past 9 months. I've also traveled to Bahrain, Jordan and Turkey for factory visits.”

Ginnie and I are just two examples of where a Lasell education can take you. Begin you journey today by following Lasell on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.




2 comments:

Lou said...

Sean, Thanks for letting us know about your experience and school spirit!

Sam said...

Ginnie, it must be so exciting to have the opportunity to travel to Hong Kong, Bahrain, Jordan and Turkey through your work in the fashion!