Thursday, July 1, 2010

C'mon up!

After two years as an Admission Counselor, I consider myself to be a hotel connoisseur. Hi, my name is Tyler Wentworth and the states of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland have all become like new homes for me. When the College Fair and High School visit season hits in mid-September through November, I pack my bags and say goodbye to Massachusetts (and Lasell) for close to 11 weeks. Visiting between 4 and 5 high schools a day, a college fair at night, and speaking to hundreds of students and families, are all in a day’s work for me and the Lasell College admission staff!

I have been traveling to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland for over 2 years now, and I have met so many fantastic students who have enrolled and now call Lasell College their second home. Coming from these areas may seem like a long trip for some, but it really is quite easy to get to and from Lasell (I make the drive every Sunday and Friday in the Fall!). Lasell College is conveniently located right off the Mass Pike and Interstate 95, so driving to campus is very simple.

If you prefer other modes of transportation, campus is just a short T ride (Boston’s subway system) from Boston. Southwest Airlines offers rates as low as $59 from Baltimore to Boston, and Amtrak trains travel daily from Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City to South Station in Boston for as low as $49. Greyhound buses also travel throughout the country straight to South Station. With so many options to get to and from campus, home is never too far away from your new home here at Lasell College.

During my travels, I have been able to enjoy much of what these three states have to offer, from rich history, amazing people, to the great food throughout the area (although Geno’s cheese steaks are delicious, Maryland’s crab cakes… they just can’t be beat). Touring the historic Camden Yards, watching some of the greatest high school football rivalries in the county, and learning (and re-learning) the exits off the Garden State Parkway have all been experiences that I will always remember. In each high school I have visited as well, I have been greeted with a smile and welcoming reception from both the students and guidance community.
The New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland areas have all become new homes for me, and I graciously offer to return the hospitality for each of you when you visit Lasell!
With school out for summer, you may be getting ready or looking for a summer vacation destination. There is no better place to visit than Newton and Boston. While you’re in the area take a tour of Lasell’s beautiful campus. Come for a day, or stay all weekend, but make sure Lasell College is part of your Boston itinerary!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a sad note, we'll be saying goodbye to Tyler later this month, as he begins a new opportunity and graduate study. Best of luck Tyler!


No comments: